This while getting my son ready for his hockey tournament, I was watching the Food Network. One of my favorite channels, why wouldn't it be?!?! I look the way I do due to food, so it would go hand in hand with me that watching food shows would be great. Anyways, I was watching Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry, I love Janet and Greta. I wish I had a sister to cook with or even a friend! They have such a qurkie attitude towards one another and their guests, it just makes me giggle. So today they were revamping a cream cheese muffin recipe. Wow did they ever look yummy. After the votes came in at the end of the show and Janet and Greta winning, I thought I just had to try this recipe, and had to do it today. On I go to my life line the Internet and looked up the Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry website and found their recipe for Little Miss Muffin Tops.
To the kitchen I go to start baking, that is after I checked to make sure I had everything here for the muffins. For the most part I did. I added/changed a few things around for what I did or didn't have on hand. For the most part they tasted amazing!
So I know you are all waiting for the recipe!!! Here ya go:
LITTLE MISS MUFFIN TOPS
Recipe is taken right from the link above, anything in italics is what I chose to do. Feel free to try either way!
Yield: 12 mine made 15 regular muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla flavoured yogurt (I used plain, not to sure if there is a difference or not?)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Grated zest of one large lemon (I didn't have any fresh lemons on hand so I skipped this ingredient)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used bottled lemon juice, again cause I didn't have fresh on hand at all)
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries (I used frozen mixed berries. Included raspberries, blackberries and blue berries)
- 2/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 12 teaspoons light strawberry cream cheese (Philadelphia brand) (once again I didn't have strawberry cream cheese on hand so I mushed up a 1/4 cup of my field berries with light cream cheese and 2 packets of splenda)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 2 muffin-top(I used regular muffin pans, like mentioned at the beginning of the recipe) pans lightly with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in blueberries and raspberries.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin-top cups. Hide 1 tsp cream cheese in the centre of each muffin. Bake for about 12 minutes (I found mine took about 20 minutes, now this could be because my berries were still a little frozen) , or until muffin tops are puffed up and a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.
We had these yummy muffins for our dessert tonight. It was a great way to end off a yummy supper!