Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To beans or not to beans?

So yet again I tried something new today (besides working out with the Wii ), it was some more food.  Now not that food is unknown to me and this time I even knew what I was making and knew I didn't like it.  I made White Turkey Chili, I don't like chili.  Its not the taste I don't like, its those beans!!! I am one that has a food problem that co-insides with textures.  Its not that I don't like the taste of alot of food its that I can't handle its texture in my mouth. Example:  I love deviled eggs, but hate egg salad sandwiches.  I know, I know its all the same stuff, but when my egg white and yokes are mixed together like the the salad I just can't handle it.  Once again I know you can call me crazy.  So I have the same kinda issue with beans (kidney, red, black, white..... lentils, etc)  the taste is OK (not great but OK!) but I can not handle that texture in my mouth, I just want to gag.With that being said I still made the chili and tried it.  It called for white beans (usually any chili I ever had only had red beans in it) and I had never tried white beans before.  To my surprise they taste better to me then any other ones and the texture, while still there wasn't as bad to me then some other.  Other then the beans the chili was great I thought.  The hubby and my son loved it, that's for sure.  Now with the chili I made a Santa Fe Salad.  Once again it had beans in it, but black one this time.  I must say I did try it and yes more then one little mouth full, but it was definitely a no go for me.  I thought with them not being cooked I might not mind the texture as much, well I was wrong!!!  So now my hubby has a huge bowl of Santa Fe Salad to eat..... I am pretty sure he will be eating it well into the weekend (that's if I don't toss it first!)

Any who here's be menu plan for the day.

Breakfast:  Coffee w/sugar X 4 (when I have 'X' it is cups not how much sugar I use!)
                  Easy Breakfast Quiche (see recipe below)

AM Snack: Nothing


Lunch:  Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, half piece of cheese toast (the daughter stole my other half!) and orange

PM Snack:  Orange

Supper: White Turkey Chili (see recipe below), Santa Fe Salad (see recipe below), and rolls ( I didn't have one but the rest of the family did)

Quote of the day:  You may delay, but time will not ~ Benjamin Franklin

Oh how I wish I had really thought about this quote along ago when I heard it.  I have loved reading quotes for years now.  I never applied anything I read (quote wise) to my weight, weight loss, or health ever.  I read them because they soothed me.  But it wasn't until lately that I really started to think about what they meant or at least how I have taken them.  If I would have done this thinking years ago, maybe it would have given me the strength to keep going while on those millions of short term diets I have done.  I am 25 years old and I think I have done at least that many diets in my life plus who can count all the "quick"  fixes I have tried!  If I would have put my all into it the first time I would be doing this right now.  (Although, I can't come plain cause I have gotten to know some friends alot better through all this and even met some great new friends and people along the way (how I love the blogging world)).  At the same time I am saying this (writing)  I am thinking to myself, I shouldn't be.  One should never look back on life and wish for something different, we should always take the memories we have and make the most of them.  If it wasn't for me waiting this long to make my true life change I wouldn't have gotten to know a friend from high school, as well as I do now.  And I am thankful to have her in my life now, she is great support and one whom I claim and a dear close friend now that I can confide in with anything.


RECIPES

Mini Breakfast Quiche ~ Recipe from Kids Approved Meals

Easy 1-2-3 Biscuits dough 


Ingredients:



3 heaping tablespoons of butter
2 cups of self rising flour *
1 cup of milk

*to make your own self rising flour: for each cup of flour used add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt

 Directions:

Preheat  oven to 325 F.  Divide dough into 12 pieces.  Press into well greased muffin pan, making sure to cover the bottom and sides of the muffin container.  Set to the side for time being.

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups of milk
4 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled (you could also use about 3/4 cup of breakfast sausage cooked and cut into small pieces)
1 cup of grated cheese

Directions:

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl .  Pour evenly over Easy Biscuit dough.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until tooth pick is inserted in the centre and comes out clean.

Easy-peasy and Yummy in the tummy!

White Turkey Chili ~ Recipe from Canadian Turkey Marketing Agency

Ingredients:

1 lb of ground turkey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

1/2 a red pepper chopped
3/4 cup of turkey broth (I used chicken broth cause that's what I had on hand!)
1 can of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley chopped (I forgot to buy parsley on Sunday, so I skipped this ingredient)

Directions:

Heat oil in large non stick pan.  Add turkey meat, onion and garlic.  Cook, until turkey meat is no longer pink in color.  Add dry seasonings and mix well.  Add green and red peppers and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10  to 15 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste if you like.  Add beans, cheese, sour cream and parsley.  Heat through for another 5 minutes.  Serve!

Santa Fe Salad ~ Recipe from The Best of Bridge Vol. 1

Ingredients:

Cilantro Lime Dressing
1/4 cup of olive oil
juice from 2 limes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Salad
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper chopped
1 can of corn drained
1/3 cup red onion chopped
1 jalapeno pepper seed and minced (if you don't like spicy food skip this one!)

Directions:

In a medium bowl, whisk together oil and lime juice.  Add cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper and mix well.  Added salad ingredients and mix well again.  Serve room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment